Thursday, September 16, 2010

Embers and Fire

I'm thinking about fire tonight. I read a couple of poems I wrote called Butterfly Wings and one called Billy and started thinking about fire for some reason. And now there's a poem in the works. So far it looks like this:



A tiny ember glowed in the dark.
It was hardly bright enough to notice,
But it made a tiny warm space in my heart.



Covered in ashes, slowly burning out,
There was no fuel to feed it,
I was slowly dying within and without.



And then I started thinking about the color of embers, and how they're red, and that's the same color of blood, and that led me to thinking about how Jesus died for us and covers us with His blood. I am so grateful that He was willing to do this for us. I know that I would not be where I am today without Jesus. I was a mess, trying to control the chaos around me and not succeeding, trying to keep the space around me calm and peaceful and getting nowhere close.



But that tiny ember got fed a little fuel called love, and turned into a flame. The flame kept getting fed love, and some hope got thrown in, and it turned into a campfire. Then the campfire turned into a bonfire because a lot more fuel got put into it -- hope, love, peace, joy, mercy, grace, righteousness, holiness, compassion, jealousy, and so much more than I can even think of right now. And that bonfire has been keeping me clean because it burns off the things that aren't from God, and makes me a better person. It makes me want to sing "Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me. Bless His holy name." I think it's cool that everything in me, both the good and the bad, has to bow down and bless the Lord. And then I want to dance. Then I want to sing some more. And here I am, writing encouragement into me so I can have more hope and faith that I am doing what God wants me to do, and instead of going to bed I want to dance and shout for joy! God is so good!



Anyway, those were my thoughts for tonight. Embers are red. Blood is red. And red is my favorite color. Always has been. For me, red is not for anger, red is for love. Even when I was a kid and didn't know anything about God, because I was not brought up in the church. When I stop to think about it, I'm surprised I am who I am today because I sure enough shouldn't be here if all the things that have gone on in my life had come to fruition. God has had His hand on me my entire life, I just didn't know it back then. Thank you, Lord, for your mercy and grace, for your love, your peace, your joy. Time for bed now or I won't want to get up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment