Thursday, July 8, 2010

Quiet Time

The house is quiet. Robin is at work and James went to play basketball. No tv, no radio, and Rusty is sleeping at my feet. What joy when it's quiet! I don't understand the need people feel for noise all the time. My ears hurt, I get a headache, and I feel bombarded when I don't get peace and quiet. Don't misunderstand, I do like noise. I like to talk to people, I like to listen to music (but not full blast very often), I like to hear people in other rooms and know I'm not alone.

But I like alone time. I can think then. Or I can zone out if I want to, and not think at all because I've been thinking too much. It's easier to write when it's quiet. And God gave us a day of rest so we could have peace and quiet.

I do have work I need to finish. I do have chores that need doing. But those are always there. Peace and quiet are not, so I am taking advantage of it. I need to clear my brain, to slow down, to see, touch and smell the good things so I can be rejuvenated. An empty vessel needs to be filled up so it can give more. I like being an empty vessel and being filled with God's love and peace and joy.

Proverbs 17:1 Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife. (KJ)

Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. (KJ)

So for this hour or so I will rest in the peace that God has seen fit to give to me. And when James gets home, I will be ready to cook supper, to listen to him, etc. etc. I need a new poem about peace, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment